Oil changes: How often do you need them? (Marketplace)

How often should you change your engine oil? In a hidden camera investigation, we test what you’re told at the dealership and then actually test your engine oil in a lab to see who’s right.
To read more: www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/the-dirty-truth-about-makeup-oil-change-debate

»»» Subscribe to CBC News to watch more videos: bit.ly/1RreYWS

Connect with CBC News Online:

For breaking news, video, audio and in-depth coverage: bit.ly/1Z0m6iX
Find CBC News on Facebook: bit.ly/1WjG36m
Follow CBC News on Twitter: bit.ly/1sA5P9H
For breaking news on Twitter: bit.ly/1WjDyks
Follow CBC News on Instagram: bit.ly/1Z0iE7O

Download the CBC News app for iOS: apple.co/25mpsUz
Download the CBC News app for Android: bit.ly/1XxuozZ

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
For more than 75 years, CBC News has been the source Canadians turn to, to keep them informed about their communities, their country and their world. Through regional and national programming on multiple platforms, including CBC Television, CBC News Network, CBC Radio, CBCNews.ca, mobile and on-demand, CBC News and its internationally recognized team of award-winning journalists deliver the breaking stories, the issues, the analyses and the personalities that matter to Canadians.

Comments

David Beppler says:

At 165 miles a day 6 days a week with an hour in traffic every day and we change our oil every 5,000 miles. 245,000 miles on a 4cy and still going. Each oil change costs us $21.

Arioch says:

Oil they used in the beginning is so pure, he said lmfao read owners manual

Lyle Raustadt says:

For my older vehicle I m going from 2 x a year to every 3 k s . Reason? That's when it uses oil and is less to take out! Good oil and filter best investment for engine possible.

conceptcs says:

My Toyota says one year or 10k miles oil change interval.

Desmond Hebert says:

This is the stupidest video I've seen by CBC. You should always change your oil sooner rather than later. It all comes down to WHEN/WHERE/HOW you drive your car. Changing your own oil is almost dirt cheap, literally. Just do it.

smasila says:

Best thing to do is learn to change it yourself.

Howard Elfman says:

Pull out the dipstick and look at it. If it's starting to get very black, change it. Easier indicator than playing a game with the number of miles. The filter can make a difference too but many on here have discussed that already.

I wouldn't go a year. And I also would check the oil level dipstick regularly anyway in case there is a leak.

Also, if you change it yourself you can use much better stuff for a lot cheaper. I know that scares some folks but oil changes are one of the easiest things you can do. And it's hard to mess up.

Philip Agtuca says:

lots of butthurt oil chg service people in the comments section.follow the manufacturer recommendation period.

raymond289 says:

Approve Synthetic OIL ACEA A3 /B4, GM Dexos 1. GF4 GF5 LL01 – 04.
2016 & NEwer version Dexos 2, ACEA A5B5
Highway driving not many stop and go 30 -50 KM per trip. well yes up to 15,000KM
City driving, heavy load, Short Trip 15 KM per trip and less up to 10,000 KM
9 – 12 Months

Non Approve Synthetic OIL Highway 10,000 KM City 8000 KM
6 Months

Regular OIL non Synthetic Highway 7500 KM City 5000 KM
3 – 5 Months

This is Turbo

Non Turbo Natural Engine Add 15 % – 20 % Mileage on top of the following.
for every 3000 KM 100 – 250ML of oil burn or loss inside Engine. base on 2000 – 3500 RPM Normal operation.

Michael Choe says:

I wasted 9 minutes to save $100 per year…

Garrett Lulli says:

Just a thought isn't the manufacturer also the one that want you to buy a new car when it fails they make money on that. But how much can a hurt to change your oil a few thousand miles before

Jr b says:

you change your oil when the vehicle manual says so

A. Oreal says:

Case by case, I prefer every 6 Months despite 8K recommendation. Its better to have newer oil anyway.

Tibor Roussou says:

I've been doing my own oil changes on my trucks for years. Usually around 5000 km I do them. Sometimes, like now, I'm not worried to go an extra 1000 km. If you change the oil regularly, your vehicle will last longer! More importantly, most people change engine oil regularly, but never their transmission fluid. Transmissions are far more complicated than an engine. Food for thought people 😉

CEDAR 1500 says:

I just add oil lol

Frank V says:

Taking a Jeep with a 1000km since last oil change and the Fluid Life Rep says its good for another 3-4000km's.  Coming up a bit short….

Endo C says:

I change oil every 2 to 3 years. no problem ever.

Manny Echaluce says:

Get an EV and never bother with oil change

mitchlu says:

best advice is here (hours of engine use/not miles)